Working together to grow a successful export food and beverage industry in NZ
We often hear the phrase “New Zealand is a food bowl for Asia” used in the media, but how do we ensure that New Zealand exporters are ready and able to exploit this opportunity? There are several government organisations working to enable this, but how do we work together as an industry body to ensure the government supports our member companies?
The FGC Board identified export as a key strategic initiative, hence the formation of the Export Initiative Working Group.
The FGC Export Initiative Working Group Objectives
- Accelerate the growth of food and beverage exports from New Zealand, particular focus initially in Asia.
- Provide a resource base for members wishing to export or expand their business.
- Provide networking and speaker opportunities and forums.
- Raise the profile, importance, quality of resource and funding for food manufacturers within government organisations.
- Use offshore connections to lobby for improvements to regulatory constraints in various countries.
- A small workgroup of industry specialists meets during the year to develop the work plan and allocate responsibilities.
- Industry updates and resources to be provided via newsletters and the Food & Grocery Council website.
- Relevant speakers to address members via regular forums.
- Networking events.
NZTE Resource Links
- The Export Initiative Working Group has worked with New Zealand Trade & Enterprise to create some links to useful areas of information, specifically for the Asian market.
Selected publicly available internet resources for food and beverage market research for New Zealand exporters
The following information sources and links have been selected as being of use to New Zealand companies wanting to export food and beverage products. They have been selected based upon their authority and reliability and because they have proven to be useful to New Zealand exporters in the past. This list is not intended to be exhaustive.
Free Trade Agreements
Explanation of Harmonised Classification System (HS Codes) (World Customs Organisation)
(World Customs Organisation)
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Agricultural Import Standards and Regulations (FAIRS) reports (these can be found by selecting exporter assistance from the category menu)
General market overviews and reports
NZTE website: Explore Export Markets Section
The following reports can be found in the exporter assistance category and are good general market overviews: Exporter Guides, Retail Guides, Foodservice – HRI Guides, Food Processing Ingredients Guides. Other more specific product reports are also available.
Austrade Website: Export Markets Section
UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) Website: Export Section
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Trade Service website: Market Information Section
JETRO (Japan External Trade Organisation) website: Reports and Statistics Section
MarketLine Advantage via Auckland City Libraries (must be an Auckland City Libraries member to access)
How-to-do business guides
US Commercial Service – Country Commercial Guides. These can be found by searching the Market Research Library by the required country.
General country information
Statistics NZ – Statistics NZ also has a list of links to the statistical agencies of other countries and international statistical agencies
See also the websites of the trade development agencies listed in the General Market Overviews and Reports Section as they often have data and profiles on countries.
Trade data (exports/imports)
Agriculture products production and consumption data
FAOSTAT (Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations Statistical Division)
KOMPASS via Auckland City Libraries (must be an Auckland City Libraries member to access)